Dear Parents and Carers,
Welcome to our newsletter for this half-term, focusing on the development of our curriculum which is a central priority for West Lea. Although the pandemic posed unprecedented challenges for each of us, it also provided an opportunity to re-evaluate what’s most important, and that’s exactly what we are doing with our curriculum! To achieve this, we have refined, expanded and future-proofed our curriculum offer so it supports all our pupils.
Our new curriculum covers the following refreshed learning domains:
• Being healthy and staying safe (including PSHE/RSE, Physical Development and Catering)
• Social and communication (including English, Reading and Functional Skills)
• Creativity (including Art, Drama and Music)
• Employability and community engagement (including Life Skills, Careers, Travel Training,
Work Experience and College ‘taster’ days)
• Numeracy and problem-solving (including Maths and Financial Literacy)
• Knowledge of the world (including RE, History, Geography and Science)
Our Learning Domains are closely linked and provide the tools pupils need to prepare for their adulthood, relationships and the world of work. Our values are at the heart of our curriculum, as well as independence, literacy, numeracy and ICT, which are embedded across all curriculum areas.
Our curriculum was developed around the needs and interests of our pupils, so they receive the support and opportunities they need to flourish. Parents and carers are central to this. Please reach out to your child’s teacher, senior leader or head of school if you have any questions or suggestions. Your feedback and support is always valuable, essential and very much appreciated.
As we move further into the colder winter months, please do stay safe and well.
With every good wish,
Paul Quinn, CEO, West Lea School
Click here for the full newsletter.