Covid-19 mass testing
The safety of our students, staff and the wider community is our number one priority at West Lea.
The Government has rolled out mass COVID-19 testing for schools, which began in January 2021.
Since w/c 4th January 2021, West Lea School began testing all staff and students who wish to participate, using new, quicker COVID-19 tests, commonly known as ‘lateral flow tests’. The tests will be conducted initially at four of our sites – Springfield, Dyson’s Road, Ponders End and Haselbury campus.
Up to one third of people who have coronavirus experience no symptoms, so by testing we are helping to stop the virus spread and help keep our school open as safely as possible.
About the tests
- Tests are being performed free of charge by trained West Lea staff and will consist of a quick and simple swab of their nose and throat.
- Results take around half an hour from testing and will be shared directly with staff and students participating. Where participants are under 16, parents or legal guardians are also informed.
- We know these tests work – in validation studies conducted by Oxford University and Public Health England, they were shown to be over 99% accurate.
Step One – Registration
The test is voluntary, but we would encourage all students to take it. To process tests, we will need to register all participating students. If you are happy for your child to be tested, please complete the two steps below – the online registration form and the consent statement (one per student). Any problems, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Step Two – NHS Test and Trace consent form for COVID-19 testing
This common consent form has been designed for use by parents and guardians of pupils and under 16s, pupils and students over 16 and staff. Underlined sections should be read as applicable and completed as follows:
- For pupils and students younger than 16 years – this form must be completed by the parent or legal guardian. Please complete one consent form for each child you wish to enrol.
- Pupils and students over 16 can complete this form themselves, having discussed participation with their parent / guardian if under 18.
- Staff will complete this form themselves.